Wednesday, June 07, 2006

East Tennessee



I have about 300 cousins in those hills of East Tennessee wearing overalls, drinking moon shine (well, they use to). My mother worked in Oak Ridge in WW2 making ammunition. That's were they have all the "Clark" family reunions.

The last one we had, there was over 300 relatives there from all over the US. They all were decentants of my grandpa John Clark and grandma Perl Clark, Born 1879/1881 in Ten Mile, (Stomp Creek) Roane County TN., who had 11 children. I had 10 aunts and 1 uncle. All 11 family's off springs were well represented at the reunion. There history goes back to the original European settlers. The church they attend was founded in 1797, Salem Baptist Church. Back then every valley was settled by one's religion, hence ALL the people in that valley were Baptist. The Methodist were over the mountain in the next valley, Presbyterian in another valley over another mountain and so on.

During the last reunion, we went to a Salem Baptist Church service and the preacher who use to play with me as a kid (I think I stole his bird house at vacation bible school) came up to me and said, "Bobby, let me show you something of great value". He took me in his office and pulled out an old church log book that was dated from 1797 to 1976. It had the earliest recording of events from all off my Clark ancestors and forefathers. Dates when they were born, baptized, married and died. I found my mother, aunts, grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents, cousins, all the way back past the Civil War, War of 1812 and when east Tennessee was a territory of North Carolina. At the beginning of the book, all entries were done by feather ink, then in pen when it was invented. A true histrocial document that's most likely worth something to history buffs. I was amazed!

As a kid I loved staying the summers there. There was no electricity or running water. They drank the water from the creek. I use to carried the bucket to the house. The only water pump was located at Salem Baptist Church. They mostly were all farmers. Their main crop was tobacco. Out house only, baths in the creek or tub outside for the kids on sat night. The house my grandparents lived in was built by my grandpa's father in the early 1800's. There are NO blacks allowed in those hills. It was the simple life!! Memories that I will cherish. A far cry from Memphis in West Tenn.


Salem Baptist Church has a sweet spirit. Remember, they have been meeting every Sunday since 1797 (That's 209 years!). They have been at one time or another every kind of Baptist. Independent, Foot Washing, Free Will, Southern and now Missionary Baptist. Going to church on Sunday's for them is not a chore or just church services, it's an event. They stay all day. They eat (pot luck) and socialize between the morning and evening worship services. They sing!! and boy do they sing!!

I remember when we visited them, the song director asked for the choir to come on up, the entire congregation, including the children went into the choir loft. (big one) the only ones left was us visitors (3 couples). It was the most wonderful sound one could hear. Perfect harmonies!! They all sung their parts perfect including the kids. They had a pianist, organist and a bass player who sounded like they were on steroids. They got down. I think the slowest song they sung was "when the roll is called up yonder" Most of the songs were the old time gospel ones. My mother learned to sing at Salem, she had a wonderful voice. Her and her sisters recorded and sung on the radio in Chattanooga in the 30's.

The preaching was great too!! The preacher acknowledged our presence and told a story of our grandpa Clark's faithfulness to the church. How he would bring his family to church in a horse drawn wagon. He NEVER missed a Sunday service.

They tape each service. I'm glad I got two (morning and night service). I listen to them every once in a while. I love the singing and get a blessing each time.

You know by their sheer existence for 209 years, that the Holy Spirit is in that place. That church NEVER split like so many Baptist churches do today. They resolved their difference, lead by the Holy Spirit through voting on issues. No one left the church because they didn't like the way a vote went. They accepted it and moved on. Splitting is the work of the Devil, they didn't want any part of that!!

I think every church issue (Including new deacons and a new pastor) ought to be voted on by a closed ballot and the results is the answer from God and not by a select group of church members. That's how Salem did it and have lasted for over two centurys. Think about It.


Salem Baptist Church - Founded 1797
(rebuilt over and over down thru the years)


The Sowell Klan at the Clark Reunion (Name Tags?)




Click here: View more East Tennessee Pics

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home