Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tale of Two Uncles

Uncle Bud



My favorite Uncle on my Mother's side, Uncle Bud (well, the only one) died Friday Jun 2, 2006 of a heart attack as did my Mom (his sister) in Jan of 1998. He died at the VA Hospital in Mufreesboro, TN. Uncle Bud was 81 years old. As a highly decorated marine, he fought in World War II in the Pacific, including the battle of Iwo Jima for which he received a Purple Heart.

He was the youngest of nine children (all sisters) yet he out lived seven of them who preceded him in death: Maude Nucholls, Ann Short, Reba Hall, Edith Brock, Agatha Sowell, Cecil Kelsay and Billy Vickers. Military Honors with a 21 gun salute by the Roane County Military Memorial Honor Guard performed at the grave site service. Kyker Funeral Home in Kingston had charge.

I have a lot fond memories of him growing up. I remember my Mom talking about him during WW II and what all he went through. It was uncle Bud who gave me my first haircut while my mother went to town and when she got back she got a surprise. I went from a long hair baby to looking like a little boy. I remember the summers I spent as a kid on my Grandpa's farm in Ten Mile, TN (10 miles from Kingston in East Tennessee) and playing with my cousins, especially Uncle Bud's son Ricky. Coming from the big city of Memphis to the wide open spaces of the country was a big deal to me and my siblings. It was far better than camp could ever be. I remember the dog named Jerry and uncle Bud playing the guitar while the dog sung.

I never got to personally thank uncle Bud for fighting in WW II for our freedom but I do honor his service and appreciate his bravery. I also thank him for being on the right side of history. May he rest in peace now that he has fought his last battle. He is now reunited with his parents, his son and his sisters who went before him. I will see him again in Heaven. My prayers are with his surviving family, may the Holy Spirit comfort them during this time.

There is but one left out of 9 children on the Clark side of my family (aunt Opal of Chattanooga) and one left on the Sowell side (Aunt Dorothy of Memphis). That generation is dwindling down. Historians called them the "Greatest Generation" and I agree. We certainly owe them our utmost gratitude.




Clark family reunion June 1995


Clark family reunion June 1995


Bobby and family summer visit 1996


Uncle Bud's visit to Memphis 1997, Mom's 75th Birthday

Read The Roane County Newspaper Obituaries:
Click here: Arnold C. Clark

View more Clark related photos
Click here: Webshots - Images of East Tennessee

Read what Uncle Bud went through in WW II:
Click here: World War II Battle of Iwo Jima




Uncle Richard

My last surviving uncle on the Sowell side also died recently. Uncle Richard, 80 passed away Easter Sunday, April 16th. He was my favorite uncle on my Dad's side. He was the youngest of his family. His brothers Roy, Walter, Speck, Mule, James and sister Elma preceded him in death. The only one left of that Sowell generation is Aunt Dorothy. I also have fond memories of Uncle Richard. He married my Mom's baby setter (she watched me) and she became my aunt Maxine. They had two children, Mark and Tabitha. Unlike all the other Sowell uncles and aunts, we saw uncle Richard on a regular basis. We visited each other over the years. My earliest memories of him was when he was visiting us from Oklahoma and stayed with us for a while. I remember him having a record collection. It was the first time I heard songs like "On Top of ole Smokeys", "How much is that doggie in the window", "So long, it's been good to know you" I remember playing them over and over. I must have been around 7 years old.

Uncle Richard did not serve in World War II because of his eyes being bad. I remember him having what I call "Dancing Eyes".

As early as I can remember, he has always strive to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood, always working in the yard in his spare time. Uncle Richard suffered from the complications of diabetes. He had lost both legs one at a time. He had a very good spirit and didn't let his handicap get in his way. As a diabetic myself, I admired his courage in the most adverse conditions. He will be missed and will live in my heart and memory until I am called home. My prayers are with his surviving family, my aunt Maxine, my cousin's Mark and Tabitha and his grandchildren. May the Holy Spirit comfort them during this time of sorrow.


Uncle Richard, Memphis 1958

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home