Thursday, June 01, 2006

Storm Damage



What happened?
I was working on my website yesterday around 1:30 PM in the afternoon and as usual had my radio on and was aware of possible thunder storms, which is a common occurrence during this part of the year in the Mid-South. As the thunder roared and the lightning flashed, I was about to shut down my computer when all of a sudden my cat CK came and got me. I knew immediately that something was up because my cat don't get up from her nap for nothing. So, I barely had enough time to turn off my PC and unplug it along with my Yamaha Clavanova and TV and the cat and I jumped into the closet located in the hallway at the center of the house when it hit. What was it? It sounded like the Wizard of Oz. I heard the quarter inch size hail hitting the roof and extremely strong winds pounding all over the house. I heard an awful noise coming from the chimney. We were in the closet for about 30 minutes. The cat and I were completely in the dark but thanks to my boy scout training I had put a flash light in that closet. The cat looked puzzled and confused as she tried to get under me for safety.

When I finally went outside, I saw the damage the storm brought to me and my neighbors. My wooden backyard fence on one side came down. The wind snapped the 4X4 post into pieces at the base line like they were match sticks. The whole west side of my fencing fell into the neighobor's yard. The turbines on the roof top of my house were damaged. One of them blew off. Storm damage was wide spread all over the city of Bartlett. Trees were down all over the place. Luckily, there were no deaths reported on the News but I did see the damage it done all of the Memphis area particular in Bartlett. My neighbors next door and across the street lost their 'Bartlett pear trees'. I took storm damage pictures with my camera and will get them 1-hour processed at Walmart and hope to have them posted here today.

I will have to pay more attention to the weather forecast especially while on line. I was fortunate in that, other than my fence and turbines, there were not any more damages and that me and my cat came through it OK and without a scratch(LOL).

CK was skittish and afraid to go outside last night. It must have been a drama experience for her as she is sleeping like a baby today.


CK resting good after yesterday's storm




Walmart Neighborhood Market

Walmart film processing center update:
Well, I went to Walmart to pick up my pictures that I had dropped off earlier this morning, it seems that my 1-hour processed film went to Nashville and won't be back until Sunday or Monday. The order was somehow screwed up by the Walmart associate and mixed up with the ones they send out. Anybody that knows me, knows that I hate to wait. I have always had them instantly processed and never would send them out for processing. And why Nashville? Memphis don't have a film processing center? Weird!

STORM DAMAGE PHOTOS


Storm Damage to backyard fence


Storm Damage to backyard fence


Storm Damage to backyard fence

Click here to enlarge above photos


Storm related news
Click here: Golfer killed by lightning strike

1 Comments:

Blogger Live Oak Construction said...

It's a good thing that you and your cat were unharmed during the storm. The damages the storm caused to your entire neighborhood was quite extensive. But you can never really prevent it because the force of nature was at play. How's your whole neighborhood now? I wish everything was restored to normal right away. I hope you consider reinforcing your place, so that the next time a storm hits, you'd be more secure.

Mariam Freame

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home