Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Pre-Surgery Blues

98% fat free? Well, not my artery on my left side of my neck, it's more like 95% blocked. My Surgery date is set for next Monday, Sep 25 th. Ironically, it's the anniversary of my ONLY hurricane that I went through, Hurricane Eloise, Sept 25, 1976, category III in Ft Walton Beach, Florida. It tore the place up pretty darn good and me being in the military at the time, I got to experience hurricane cleanup first hand. I remember thinking, "I'll be glad to get out of here" ...and I did!

The VA doesn't operate on profit, being a government facility. In fact, they are just the opposite of private hospitals. They don't want to do any unnecessary surgeries and constantly looking for ways to cut down on cost. That's why they have (and still are) putting me through the ringer with tests. Now I have to go there Thursday to meet with the anesthetioglost, get more blood work and a chest x-ray. Prior to these test, I've already had an MRI, Treadmill, Ultrasound and they have stuck me umpteen times, ALL for this upcoming Surgery!

The Cost has all ready been Paid in Full....
It was prepaid it back in the1968 when I was drafted and unwillingly servered in the Vietnam War, became an alcoholic, suffered from PTSD (Post traumatic distress disorder) and was exposed to Agent Orange. I can remember when I first got back home (the US), my hair glowing in the dark. I use to laugh about it, not knowing the real reason it glowed (Agent Orange). I could turn off the lights at night and when I pulled off my T-shirt, my hair would really glow! Not just static electricity, but it lite the entire room up. It doesn't do it as much now as it did back then.

Yea, I'm operating on 2% (Heck, I don't even drink 2% milk, just 1%) Maybe after my surgery when I have 100% flow, I can really get down on the piano! I told my surgury nurse this morning that I played the piano for a living and how long will I have to wait to play? She said, within a week. Then I told her that I grunt when I play?? She laughed and said, I've heard of ball players grunting but not piano players? Does it not make you want to go to the restroom? Then I said, well perhaps I can just play slow love songs for an hour. And then she said, that the audenice jut might be needing just that??? Love Songs??!! So, I hung up the telephone with both of us laughing. I have always grunted when playing. I don't know why? I'm sure that cuts off my blood flow. whenever I concentrate on something, I automatically start grunting. The more I concentrate, the more I grunt.

Yauk!! A Monday Operation???

It's most likely no big deal and pretty much routine nowadays but, I'm 59 years old and NEVER have been cut on, so I am a little concerned, especially it being on a Monday and it's at the VA. But I know God's in control and I'm not too worried. I will post more after the surgery.

When going through an unpleasant experience such as this, it helps to have a little sense of humor. After my doctor informed me of the importance of having this surgery, I said, "I heard of the VA taking off the wrong leg?" in which he replied, "Legs don't grow out of your neck!"





Fanal Countdown
Sep 25, 2006

Well, here it is 1:00 AM Monday morning. I figure time will go by slower if I stay up. If I go to sleep, it will come sooner. Besides, why awake from a sound sleep only to be put back to sleep? My operation begins at 6:30 AM!! Bright and early. I hope the doctors got plenty of rest and not hung over from the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home