Monday, January 30, 2006

The World of Food


Growing up in Frayser was about as country as country could get. It was years before being annexed to Memphis and was a very ruel area. We even lived on a pig and goat farm (presently Chandler Street). So our food was typical country, mostly beans, cornbread and other Southern fixings. We never ventured out to Memphis restaurants other than hamburgers or cafes with southern home cooked plate lunches were severed. I had no Idea about other type foods (Chinese, Italian, Mexican, coastal sea food, etc.). I thought everybody ate like we did; be it cornbread, blackeye peas, purple hull peas, great northern beans, pinto beans, lima beans, butter beans, turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens, okra, buttermilk biscuits & gravy, turkey & cornbread dressing, fried chicken, southern sausage patties (with sage), grits, and of course southern pork bar-b-q.

When I got drafted, the world of food opened up. I was 20 years old before I had my 1st pizza. It was in Denver, CO. where I was stationed at Lowry ARB for Technical school. I remember seeing a truck coming around to the barracks delivering something in a flat box. I remember thinking, "What in the world is that thing?" on further investigation, it was not only flat but round! Of course, I had to try one and have been eating Pizza every since.

I didn't eat Chinese food until I ate it in Thailand. Of course, I didn't know what I was eating but liked it. Now, I try to eat at a Chinese buffet about once a week.

My experience with shrimp was much like the pizza. My first time eating it was in Ft Walton Beach, FL when I was stationed at Eglin AFB. I use to hang out at the NCO Club and heard about shrimp there. I asked, "Where do you get it?" With such a question, they knew I was a newbie. So, they directed be to an Oyster Bar down by the beach. I did have a few drinks before I went there alone which proved to be disastrous. I remember ordering peal-um and eat-um shrimp. But, no one told me to pill them and I ate the whole plate with the shells still on them. I did get sick and it was a long time before I ate them again. But today, Peal-um and eat-um shrimp is my favorite sea food. And Yes, I do peel them!

It's funny how Cracker Barrel restaurants have sprung up around the county and in Canada. I guess if us Southerns can import food, we certainly can export it.
Yes, children are the products of their environment and become locked in their food selection until they grow up and experience what the world has to offer in foods, I certainly did and what wonderful tastes?

Pictured below is my grandson Nick when he was a baby. I was force feeding him grits at a area southern restaurant called Shoneys. He is now 14 years old, lives in Jacksonville, FL and eats grits every morning.
(*Photo taken in 1991)



Pictured below is a hungry bunch for sure. L-R: James, Mom, John, Michael, Sandy, Bobby and Gene. (*Photo taken in 1955).



And the tradition goes on with the next generation,a eating gathering at Grandma's house. Picured below L-R: are Mom, Sherry, Mandy, step father Don, Gail, Michael, Dylon, Zack, Jacob, Chris and Robby.
(*Photo taken in 1996)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home